Monday, January 22, 2007

New concept cars make their debut


Photo by Eastern Echo

Cars featured at the North American International car show included devices such as Bluetooth and text messaging.
Since the drive to campus has commuters filling their gas tanks frequently, the recent lower fuel prices have pleased many. However, the satisfying drop in prices seems to have stopped, as now gas is slowly beginning to rise in expense. Though the cost had dropped to under two dollars, the signs in front of gas stations have begun to change their signs to display prices with a two in front of them again.

Boggs gas station owner Charles Way explained that the recent trend of lower prices was caused by the Organization of the Petroleum Exporting Countries (OPEC) increasing their production of fuel. Since the supply of fuel was much greater than the demand for it, the prices dropped.

"There was a wholesale drop," Way said. "We had such a mild winter so people weren't using much heating oil."

Way said he believes the prices will continue to rise now that the weather is getting colder again. He also said many students come to his gas station because of its location near campus.

"[The price drop] benefited students," Way said. "It also increased our business; we had a lot more people filling up."

Many students are affected by this current rise in prices, especially since some took advantage of the lower prices when they had the chance.

"I took a trip up to visit some friends in Lansing while the prices were down," said sophomore Esther Benson.

Since the prices are no longer allowing students to spend a little extra and make special trips, many must readjust their habits and cope with the prices. Senior Sarah Olson drives from Plymouth each day for classes and explained that she has to be conscious of how much driving she does.

"I definitely try to make sure that wherever I'm going, I'll be there for longer than the time it takes me to drive there," Olson said. "I drive a half hour to school, so I'll make sure I stay for at least an hour. I also have to stay on campus in between classes instead of driving home, even though I would've rather done that."

Despite her efforts to cut down on driving time, Olson and other students still have to pay the price in order to get to classes. Senior Joe Benedict shares in this dilemma.

"It's discouraging, but it doesn't change the situation," Benedict said. "I still have to get [to campus]. If I have to choose between buying something I want and saving for gas, I'll probably save for gas."

Senior Devin Foether said he was overjoyed when he heard gas prices were dropping. Now that they are back up, Foether explained the ways he will change his habits.

"I won't go home as frequently, since I have a two hour drive home," Foether said. "I'm more apt to walk places and more selective about going to the store. I'll hold off on going until I need a bunch of stuff."

Benson said that because the cost is higher, she has come up with new ways of finding transportation.

"I'm more creative now," Benson said. "I bought a bike this year. People use less gas when prices are higher, so it just makes them be more creative."

Benson said that the reason for her creativity was the influence of one of her professors, who talked about the high gas prices and showed her class that they really are not as bad as they may seem.

"My teacher explained that we don't pay enough for gas," Benson said. "We pay more for milk, which is a renewable resource. Yeah, it affects me, but after I heard that I try not to complain."

No comments:

Post a Comment